Thursday 13 February 2014

Evaluation Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Below is the video of the preliminary task which I had shot previously in the year when I had little knowledge of filming and editing.



The next video shows the final cut of mine and my partners opening to the film Existence. The editing took much longer than the preliminary task and also the filming was much more complex with a lot more shots to film at many different angles and areas.



Looking back at the preliminary task, there were not many shots that we had to film and so this made the film opening a lot harder to film. That being said, the practice and teaching that I had received from using the camera helped to be able to quickly set up shots and be able to easily film the shots without too much hassle from being in different areas.

The camerawork was a lot more complex in the opening for the film, not just because of the amount of filming that we had to do compared to the preliminary task. There were a few different types of shot that we used such as the tilt/pan up which can be shown in this video below for the actor title of Barney Smith.



Another shot which i thought was shot well was the shot in the tower where we used the lighting for a mysterious effect. Looking back at the preliminary task, there were never any times where lighting was an issue and/or a idea that was going to be used. This shot can be seen in the pictures below where the character of Michael Hajiantonis emerges from the darkness.





Since doing the preliminary task, the most complex shot was the pan shot when the character enters the room. This can be seen from this short clip below.



The editing was the longest haul. It took a very long time to perfect the editing and many hours were spent clipping the shots together and making the shots flow together. The hardest part of the editing was  that we had to make sure that our opening to the film was under the 2 minutes set by the examination board. This is a set guideline and cannot be more than that. After having lots of filming, it was difficult to cut all of the footage down and to be able to still have a flow in the editing and the film opening itself.

The titles for the preliminary task were just templates from final cut and so other than the words and titles that were filled into these templates, none of it was made by myself. In the opening to our film, my partner and I had to create an ident. This is shown in films as a small clip which is an introduction to the companies behind the film. In our Ident, I had the concepts of the way that the ident would look and what the company would be called. Below is a picture of the original drawn up plans for the ident.


Below is the finished picture which was formed from the designs I had made and my partner had created this image in Photoshop. The company name was called JJ Productions as both mine and my partners name is Joe.


Below is the actual ident created using motion effects software. Motion is an apple product and is used for creating small clips to edit into bigger films or short videos. Motion allowed My partner and I to take the original image made from photoshop and to create a motion clip.



To conclude, I have learnt a lot since first filming my preliminary task to now just having finished editing the final cut of our film opening of Existence. My camerawork since the preliminary task has grown after using more simple shots and in the film opening using more complex shots and also having a lot more shots to deal with.

This lead into dealing with the long haul of editing and how my skills and experience for editing has grown. The editing for the opening was my favourite part of the construction. Although the editing was a long process I did not get bored of it and after 17 hours of careful editing my partner and I have finally finished the opening to our film with pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment